[downloadable for reports]
Maps & Flag
[downloadable for reports]
Moment of Discovery (NOVA)
- Read the letters between the two major players who identified the coelacanth in Africa in the 1930s. Link to more information on the coelacanth.
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania (United Nations Environment Programme)
- Learn about the physical features, wildlife, and conservation activities in Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park.
Tanzania (CIA World Factbook)
- Find up-to-date population figures and other statistics.
Tanzania (Dave’s Travel Corner)
- View some of the landscapes of Tanzania.
- Get the current weather conditions for Dar es Salaam and other cities in Tanzania.
History and Government
The Official Website of the Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania in the United States of America (Tanzania Embassy USA)
- Learn the names of Niger’s government leaders, and find out the latest issues in discussion by the National Assembly.
Tanzania—Background Note (U.S. Department of State)
- Get fast facts about Tanzania’s government, foreign relations, and economy, and read a short history of the country.
Africa: Explore the Regions: Swahili Coast (PBS)
- This PBS website introduces visitors to the people, geography, and environment of the Swahili Coast of Africa. Listen to Swahili songs, read a Swahili folktale, watch an octopus swim, and more.
Country Higher Education Profiles (International Network for Higher Education in Africa [INHEA])
- Read a short history of higher education in Tanzania, and see the enrollments at universities across the country.
Tanzania (Population Reference Bureau [PRB])
- Find information about the population of Tanzania, and use the DataFinder to get more details about population trends.
United Republic of Tanzania (World Health Organization)
- Get statistics about disease outbreaks, immunization, and the conditions for medical professionals in Tanzania.
Languages of Tanzania (Ethnologue)
- Learn about the languages spoken in Tanzania, and look at a language map of the country.
Tanzania (The Fairtrade Cookbook)
- Try recipes from Tanzania.
Tanzania Artists (National Geographic)
- Listen to samples of Tanzanian music by artists such as Hukwe Zawose.
Currency Converter (xe.com)
- Convert U.S. dollars (USD) to Tanzanian shillings (TZS).
Great Lakes Region: Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda (Energy Information Administration)
- Read about Tanzania’s energy resources, including oil and natural gas.
For More Information
Country Profile: Tanzania (BBC News)
- Find up-to-date headlines, links to Tanzanian media, colorful maps, a timeline, and an overview, and watch video news clips.
Tanzania (Lonely Planet)
- Learn about traveling safely in Tanzania, and check out a photo gallery and travel tips forum.
lyrics Tanzania (National-anthems.net)
- Listen to Tanzania’s national anthem.
Tanzania (New York Times)
- Read the latest articles about Tanzania from the New York Times.
The Basics: Life Science (Discovery Education)
- This lesson plan (grades 6–8) introduces the food chain using the example of the Serengeti in Tanzania.
GIS: Helping to Save the African Wild (National Geographic Xpeditions)
- This lesson plan (grades 6–8) discusses conservation efforts while focusing on the African continent and the many resources that countries such as Tanzania have.
Mending the Rift: Tracing the Great Rift Valley Across Modern Political Borders (New York Times Daily Lesson Plan)
- This lesson plan helps students investigate the countries of the Great Rift Valley, including Tanzania, and learn about how modern boundaries are made (grades 6–8, 9-12).
To order VGS titles or request a free catalog, please call 800.328.4929 or visit